Monday, August 20, 2012

Round 2 DONE!

What a rough week!  The second round of Antibody Therapy was truly one of the most difficult weeks that Cameron has been through during the last year of treatment.  The side effects of the medicine are horrendous - all of the symptoms that I described in my last post continued for the entire week.  He could not maintain his oxygen saturation and had to be on oxygen support until Sunday, long after they turned the medicine off.  He also continued to get the itchy rash after the medicine was stopped too.  By Friday, his heart rate was often in the 190's and he was in terrible pain.

Despite all of that, Cameron was an absolute star!  He never once complained.  During the short times that he was conscious, I would ask him if he was OK and he would always nod and say, "yes Mommy, I kay".  I asked him if anything hurt and he said that his head had an "owie" and he asked me to kiss it better.  This child's strength never ceases to amaze me!  At one point, while the doctor was in Cameron's room examining him, I asked Cameron if he would like something to eat, he shook his head, "no".  I offered him his bottle and again he said "no", I was concerned that he had not eaten in days and had hardly had anything to drink, when I asked him if there was anything at all he wanted, he looked at me and said "a beer"!!!  Thinking I had obviously misheard him, I said "do you mean you want your teddy bear", "No Mommy!!  A BEER!!"  he said and pointed at the bottle of Sprite on the counter.  I think the nurse was getting ready to call child welfare, because she didn't seem to believe me that Frank and I rarely drink.  I have no idea where he got it from, but it certainly made me feel a bit happier that he wanted to drink something, even if he was demanding an adult beverage in a children's hospital.

As hard as it was to watch him feeling so terrible, I know things could have gone a lot worse.  Most of the children receiving this treatment eventually have to be transferred to the ICU, to be treated for fluid in their lungs or blood pressure issues that the medication can cause - Cameron managed to stay on the Aflac Cancer Unit the entire time.  Also, more than half of the patients getting Antibody Therapy, especially during the second and fourth rounds, get too sick to receive a full dose of the medication.  Cameron got ALL of it!  I am so proud of him, I could burst.

By Sunday, Cameron was feeling much better.  He was holding his oxygen saturation at 96%  and had been weaned off the Morphine.  His fevers were gone and the rash was better.  He was discharged late on Sunday afternoon and by the time he got home he was almost back to his usual chatty self.  He tucked into James' discarded spaghetti and meatballs dinner and had a good long soak in the bath tub.  After a good night's sleep, he was up to all his old tricks again today and talking more than ever.


Cameron leaving the hospital
As always, James is thrilled to have his twin home!  He has been behaving beautifully lately; no tantrums, I only have to ask him to do something once, he is happy and loving and a joy to be around!  James has gotten to the stage where he no longer takes a nap in the afternoon, it makes for rather a long day but I'm sure we will get used to this new routine.  Cameron still needs a short nap after lunch, so it's the perfect opportunity for James and I to spend some one on one time together - a luxury that we have not enjoyed much since Cameron was diagnosed.  Naturally, James relishes the special attention and alone time that we are having.  I have been making a special effort to turn off the TV, put my phone on silent, and really PLAY with James - whatever game he wants.  Yesterday, we camped under the kitchen table with a blanket as our tent and today, we played trains and put all of his train tracks together to make the biggest track we could.  It was WONDERFUL!  It may sound like the most basic facet of motherhood - to play with your child, but I so often find myself distracted by all the everyday chores that fill our days, when I am playing with the boys.  Calls that need to be made, vacuuming that just can't wait, an email that needs my attention, I find that I can seldom set aside time to be 100% part of the game that we are playing.  So I am focusing on a technique that I have researched, intense child-led play (You can read a good article on it HERE).  I don't ask James any questions during our special playtime (which is hard to do with a 2 year old), I don't give him any instructions, and I let him lead the game completely.  It's difficult to do, but the rewards are already becoming apparent.  James has had so little of my attention over the last year, even when I have been with him, my world has been consumed with all that is CANCER.  The child-led play technique has really helped him feel like he is getting my full attention and is supposed to re-enforce that good behaviour receives attention - tantrums do not.

Other than all of that, I am looking forward to the children starting preschool next Monday, they will both be attending 3 mornings a week.  It's going to be so good for them to get back into the school routine and spend some time with other kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment