Monday, March 5, 2012

Day +11



Cameron has finally turned a corner and is doing wonderfully!  He went from a VERY sick child that I was deeply concerned about, to a Sprite guzzling, happy boy in a matter of days.  As soon as his white blood cells started to come back, his fever broke and that was the end of that!  No more fevers meant that he felt better overall and was awake more and the return of his white blood cells and anti-bodies meant that the mucositis could finally start healing.  He still has a little bit to go, and his immune system is still very suppressed, but he is through the worst of it and on a good road to recovery.  He is doing so well, in fact, that the doctors are talking about discharging him on Friday!  I was completely blown away when the told me that, I thought we would be here at least another week or two, but as long as his blood counts keep rising and nothing new occurs, we should be out of here by the end of the week.  They have started weening him off his Morphine and they have reduced his intravenous feeding (TPN) from 100% to 75% of his daily nutrition requirements and have already stopped giving him one of the antibiotics and one of the anti-fungal medicines.

We won't be going home just yet, but we will be checking into the Ronald McDonald House, a house near the hospital that families stay at if the have children in the hospital, but live too far away to travel home often.  We do not live that far away from the hospital (about a 40 minute drive with no traffic), but because of Cameron's fragile immune system, he needs to be as close to the hospital as possible for a little while, so we will be staying there for about a week until he is healthy enough to go home.  I am hoping that we will be able to have James come and stay with us at the Ronald McDonald House, I miss him so much!

 I am so relieved that we have gotten through the first transplant, and now I am ready to tackle the second one in a few weeks time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I read Gina's post (my twin boys are at DIA, so we all know Gina) about you shaving your head in support of Cameron and Cancer Research. I have been growing my hair for the past 2 years, with the intention of donating it to Locks for Love but was very nervous about having my hair 'short' all of a sudden-that was until I read what you were doing! Considering what you and your family are going through, cutting my hair means nothing, so a big "Thank You" from me, for giving me that extra push and motivation: I'm having at least 10 inches cut off tomorrow!!! (I've spoken to our helper, and she's doing the same next week!!!!). Wishing you and your family strenght, happiness and all the best during your journey of life.
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete