Sunday, April 29, 2012

Brotherly Love

Cameron was discharged from the hospital on Friday, even though we had been told the day before that he would not be discharged for a few more days, because he still hadn't eaten anything or had anything to drink.  I was reluctant for him to be discharged on Friday, because I HATE having to be readmitted soon after discharge - just keep him in the hospital until he is truly well enough to leave, rather than moving into the Ronald McDonald House and then having to pack up again, sit in the emergency room for hours, wait for a room on the Bone Marrow Transplant floor, blah blah blah - you get the picture. 

Nevertheless, the doctors felt he was well enough to be discharged and that he would start eating in a few days, as soon as he got hungry enough.  What we didn't consider was that Cameron would continue to have nausea once he got home, as a withdrawal symptom of being weaned off his medication.  An hour after we checked into the Ronald McDonald House, Cameron started vomiting.  Of course I didn't have any nausea medicine for the poor child, and I couldn't take him into a pharmacy because his immune system is still too suppressed to be around other people.  So, poor Frank had to pack up and drive all the way here with a very sleepy James, to come to Cameron and my rescue.  We solved the nausea issue relatively quickly with a dose of Zofran and we were able to get him to take his Methadone to help with the withdrawal symptoms, but I had forgotten one thing - Cameron's fluids were supposed to have been removed from the fridge several hours before, to bring them to room temperature before they could be administered.  So Frank and I took turns with the bag of fluids up our shirts, trying to use body heat to warm them up.  It was hysterically funny and we got the job done, the fluids were at room temperature in no time - that's what I call team work!

When Frank and James arrived at Ronald McDonald, the first thing that James did was run into the bedroom to find Cameron.  As soon as he saw him, his little face lit up and he climbed on the bed and held Cameron's hand.  Cameron had fallen asleep, but as soon as he heard James he opened his eyes and grinned from ear to ear.  I thought my heart would explode with love for these two, and at the same time, my heart broke that we have to keep them apart so much, they really need each other.



The boys have played beautifully together and have even been sharing their toys and taking turns.  We had hardly any tantrums, until today - James had a birthday party that we were going to attend.  I had told him he was going to see his friends and have a ton of fun.  He had nodded enthusiastically at me and seemed to be looking forward to it, until we had to get dressed for the party.  When I tried to change his diaper and put on his outfit, all hell broke loose.  He threw a monumental tantrum and the whole time I was trying to convince him that we were going to have so much fun and see our friends, but he wasn't at all interested.  I finally managed to dress him and we arrived at the party, but James really didn't want to participate.  He stayed near me most of the time and sobbed when he was VERY GENTLY reprimanded for doing something naughty.  After about an hour I asked him if he wanted to leave and he nodded, so we headed back to the Ronald McDonald House.  As soon as we walked in the door, he ran to Cameron and hugged him.  They stayed locked in an embrace for ages with James gently kissing Cameron on the top of his bald little head.  I felt terrible for him!  He had just wanted to be with his brother, that was what all the antics had been about - I will be so happy when these boys can talk and tell me what they need!  The bond that these boys have is quite phenomenal.  It really is a beautiful thing to witness!






 The rest of the weekend whizzed by, but it was truly fantastic.  Frank and I were able to just sit and chat while the boys played quietly, something we haven't been able to do in quite a while.  There were no chores to be completed, no running around, nothing that really required our urgent attention - just each other and our beautiful boys.  Having Frank and James here this weekend has been incredibly good for Cameron too.  After not eating for almost two weeks, he hungrily guzzled down a bottle that James handed him - but ONLY if James gave it to him!  He refused to eat or drink anything that Frank or I gave him, everything had to come from James.

What an amazing weekend!  I feel like I have had a week long vacation!  Refreshed, renewed, ready to tackle the next week of doctors and clinic visits.  Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and Cameron and I were very sad to say goodbye to Frank and James.  We are off to a clinic appointment tomorrow morning and hopefully we will be heading home later this week. 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome blog! Brought happy tears to my eyes. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the sweetest thing i have ever heard! love those boys! and MISS THEM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joyous blog Nikki! The pics of the boys are just beautiful and so glad you were able to have a good weekend - that's really turning a negative to a positive! Much love to you all xx

    ReplyDelete